Thursday, May 20, 2010

26 hours!...and up until now...

After 26 hours of travel - three different airplanes and three security checks (two of which were in London!), I made it to Bahrain and most importantly, Mike waiting for me at the airport! I arrived on Sunday, the 16th, around 7:30pm local time. It was a long journey, but worth all 9,400 miles! (Jason - the headphones were awesome!) After a nice hot shower, it was bed time!

On Monday, I hung out at Mike's apartment while he was at work. It was nice to have time to relax and unwind :). When Mike got home, he cooked me a yummy BBQ dinner.

I didn't really get out and about until Tuesday. I took a cab to the Navy base and met Mike. He showed me around the base and I was able to see where he works. Then we rented me a bike for the week :) Bicycling is Mike's main mode of transportation around here...yes, even in 100+ heat! We rode home - uneventful, no crashes, and surprisingly, not too hot!

Tuesday night we headed out the old souk (market) and Gold City. The old souk was a labyrinth of shops and booths selling all sorts of goods, including wraps, suitcases, watches, camel figurines, and bras and underwear! Gold City is just as it sounds - a mall full of jewelry shops! A bit overwhelming if you were actually going to make a purchase! Then it was off to dinner at one of Mike's favorite spots...Casa Mexicana!

No comments:

Post a Comment